Former student athletes inducted into PIL Hall of Fame

Former student-athletes Kendall Johnson, Scout Libke, Omar Leary, Marsha Lampi and John Sheffield were inducted into the PIL Hall of Fame, recognized for their successes as individuals and as a team at both Lincoln and beyond.

Thirty-five wins in a row. Back-to-back undefeated title runs. Libke and Johnson were the catalysts for the 2007-2008 Lincoln’s girls’ soccer team, one of the best in program history.

Johnson came into the girl’s soccer program as a freshman in 2006 and made varsity freshman year. After falling in the semi-finals to Tualatin, Johnson led the team on one of the most dominant runs the PIL has ever seen. Over the following two years, the team finished a combined 35-0 and won two straight state titles.

Following her high school career, Johnson committed to the University of Portland, where she was named the 2012 West Coast Conference Defender of the Year. She was drafted 12th overall by Sky Blue FC in the 2013 draft and has played for the Portland Thorns, the Western Sydney Wanderers, and for the United States national at the U-20 and U-23 levels. Libke won three state club championships in 2005, 2007, and 2008. 

Alongside Johnson was Libke, a center midfielder who was named to three All-PIL teams and one All-State team. Libke and Johnson led the way, with Johnson scoring 12 goals and dishing out 15 assists throughout the magical run. For both of them, the accolades followed. Johnson was First Team All-State three of her four years, named two-time State Soccer Player of the Year and was an ESPN First Team All-American, all while receiving two track and field letters.   

Libke graduated in 2009 and committed to the University of Oregon, where she started all four years and was named to First Team PAC-12 as a junior. After college, Scout stayed in Oregon and she has just finished her fourth year coaching for Lincoln. 

When asked how about her favorite memory, Libke said, “It’s hard to pick one memory…but ending our high school careers with a state championship is pretty high up there.”

In the years before Libke and Johnson were at Lincoln, there was another standout athlete- only he wasn’t playing girls soccer.

Sheffield was a dual-sport athlete, playing both lacrosse and football. He lettered three times in lacrosse and twice in football. John excelled in both sports, and he was named to First Team All-State in both lacrosse and football his senior year. 

He led all of Oregon in both receptions and yards and captained the team to the State Championship game, the furthest Lincoln has ever been. After football season, he was named First-Team All-State and an All American for lacrosse as a senior and was one of the key factors behind a great team. He played football at Yale, where he was named to an All-Ivy and third Team All-American. Sheffield also played football professionally in Europe for L’Hospitalet Pioners.

One of Lincoln’s most talented basketball players, Leary received four varsity basketball letters during his time at Lincoln. He received two All-PIL awards and was All-State Honorable Mention as a junior. He was the Region Nine player of the year at Northeastern Junior College before transferring to Oklahoma University, where he made the NCAA Tournament twice and was named to the Big 12 All-Academic Team.

Another student-athlete that thrived in and out of the classroom was Lampi. Lampi ran both cross country and track and field and she received four varsity letters for track and field, helping lead Lincoln to the team state title her senior year, placing second in the 3000 meters and third in the 1500 meters. In addition to her excellence on the track, she was a valedictorian and received an IB Diploma. After Lincoln, Lampi attended Oregon State where she ran track and cross country for all four years. 

Each of these athletes achieved incredible things at Lincoln and beyond; their induction into this prestigious lineup ensures that their accomplishments will never be forgotten.