PPS implements new bell schedule

Courtesy of Lincoln Website

The news schedule makes time for a 10 minute break between 3/7 and 4/8

Recently, Portland Public Schools implemented a new bell schedule where high school students get an extra 10 minutes between 3rd and 4th period to socialize, eat, and even get some homework done. Even though it takes some getting used to, students are generally fond of this district-wide change. 

“Whenever we can slow the day down and give ourselves a chance to breathe, I’m all for it,” says Lincoln English teacher Jordan Gutlerner. Gutlerner’s sentiment seems to be a recurring response from teachers. 

“Our teachers requested the break to help reduce student and staff stress,” adds principal Peyton Chapman. “We supported this request as teachers and students need time to breathe, go to the bathroom, connect with friends between classes.”

Chapman also implied that she is pleased with the new schedule, stating that she is “proud of our teachers for prioritizing students and staff needs to create a more humane bell schedule.” 

Chapman said that biology teacher Margaret Raczek “did a great job advocating for this change. It’s a great example of how our teachers and our teachers’ union work to be leaders in our ‘Whole Child’ student-centered wellness work.” Chapman shared that the “Whole Child” education model “values students’ social, emotional well-being as much as their academic growth.” 

Many students appreciate the new schedule. 

Alden Osterhaus, a sophmore, says it “gives students extra time to go to our lockers, bathroom, water and counselors.”

Sophomore Ruby Walmsley says that passing time for 10 minutes is way too short. “I can’t go to the bathroom or socialize with friends,” says Walmsley. She wishes it felt like a 10 minute break and not rushed. However, she still prefers the change over nothing at all..

The change in scheduling is part of a larger, district-wide pattern of wellness-focused changes. While many students and staff praise the new passing period, many more believe Portland Public Schools still have a ways to go.