Kayla Rae: Managing Print Editor

May 31, 2019

Kayla Rae, a graduating senior of 2019, began at the Cardinal Times in her freshman year with a primary goal to increase readership and to uncover more in-depth and underground stories around Lincoln.

As the managing print editor of the newspaper, she was able to achieve this.

In addition to accomplishing these aspirations, Kayla also established the paper’s first social media outlet on Instagram in her freshman year. The account recently reached over 1,000 followers.

With the help of co-reporters at the Cardinal Times, Rae has completed many thorough investigative projects that have positively impacted the newspaper and greatly influenced readers. Some of the largest stories she helped uncover included reporting on the sexual misconduct charges against former teacher George ten Eyck, the series of incidents within Lincoln sports that led to the termination of several head coaches, the controversy surrounding the Constitution Team’s switch-off of state championships with Grant High School, and how the IB program can fuel bullying within Lincoln.

Rae is known in the newsroom for being tough but effective while communicating with reporters.

“Though I used to be slightly intimidated by her my freshmen year, I have always looked up to her and her journalism skills. She’s a hard worker, determined and I always know I can count on her,” says Sagarika Ramachandran, Editor-in-Chief of the Cardinal times.

Being the print editor, Rae feels proud that she is able to have the platform to share and implement some of the ideas she started with. She came into the Cardinal Times full of strong ideas and is leaving with the satisfaction of seeing them implemented. One of the things Rae liked most about working for the Cardinal Times is the community. She believes that students and faculty feel very passionate about sharing what’s important in the Lincoln community.

Working for the school newspaper has impacted Rae’s life in a very positive way. She’s now much more comfortable interacting with strangers, and also feels more comfortable asking the harder questions.

“Reporting is all about digging deep and finding good information and I find myself doing that a lot more (with) people I meet, places I go, and in the community I live in,” she said.

Rae, an accomplished racquetball player, placed sixth in the girls’ high school singles “blue” bracket at the USA National Racquetball Championships in St. Louis this winter. She also placed fifth alongside senior Scout Hawkey in the mixed doubles tournament.

Outside of athletics and academics, Rae volunteers at Outdoor School, helping young students develop a passion for nature and the outdoors.

Rae will attend the University of Oregon School of Business once she graduates.