Students are more stressed than their parents

Some students at Lincoln are skipping meals and feeling overtired due to stress.

“Everybody is affected by stress,” said Lincoln student Caleb Moon. “Tests and essays for English class stress me out the most; homework is no biggy,” said Moon.

Many students today believe that they have more stress than their parents do, and there is evidence to back this up. The American Psychological Association studied stress in August 2013. According to their study, teens rated their stress at a 5.8 on a 10-point scale. Adults rated their stress at a 5.1 on a 10-point scale. This shows that on average teens are more stressed than adults. These numbers were for the school year. During the summer teens have a stress level of 4.6 on a 10-point scale. The American Psychological Association rates 3.9 as a healthy stress level, and has determined that stress above that level is unhealthy.

The American Psychological Association suggests that teen stress can be a big problem for education. High stress levels can lead to a lack of sleep or eating, which can lead to more school work not done.This can eventually lead to failing grades and education results that are worse than if the students were not stressed.

Tests can be a big cause of stress for many Lincoln students. IB tests are worth about 70% of a student’s grade. This makes getting good grades on tests necessary to get a good grade in the class.

While tests and schoolwork can be a big source of stress for many students, projects at work can be a big cause of stress for many adults.

“I have more stress now than I did when I was in high school,” said Lincoln parent and alum Anna Davis.

While some students at Lincoln feel stressed out often, some don’t feel that much stress.

”I have two to four tests per month,” said Lincoln sophomore Nate Dix, “but I am not really affected by stress.”