How are Lincoln’s winter sports teams doing?

Lincoln junior Garrett van Doren wrestles during a competition this season.

Wrestling Team:

by Ben Pahl

The Lincoln wrestling team is recently capped off an exhilarating season. Although the team saw a lot of individual success, meets were lost because of forfeits at certain weight classes. The team never had wrestlers at 120-126, 132-138, 145-152, and 195-220 weight classes. As a result, Lincoln wrestling usually forfeited four or five weight classes per meet.

As means of summing up the year, Junior wrestler Carson Hugill stressed the importance of staying in competition-level shape. “It’s all about hard work. We get out what we put in, so we
put in a lot.”

This hard work showed for the Cardinals at districts, as some wrestlers placed amongst the top of their weight classes:-Will Duffy, 1st in districts
-Garrett Van Doren, 1st in districts
-Nic Hoffman, 2nd in districts
-Trynadii Rocha, 3rd in districts
-Max Glynn, 4th in districts

The wrestling season concluded with the state tournament on February 16-17 at the memorial coliseum, in which seven Cardinal wrestlers competed: Sophie Keefer (Freshman), Trynadii Rocha (Senior), Will Duffy (Senior), Nic Hoffman (Senior), Garrett Van Doren (Junior), Max Glynn (Junior), Marco Farinola (Freshman).

Duffy reached the quarterfinals of the 182 weight class.

Racquetball Team:

by Scotty Martin

The Lincoln racquetball team had a very successful run in the 2018 State Racquetball Championships. Upon completing the final matches on February 4, the men’s team placed third, while the women’s team finished sixth.

Some honorable mentions for singles go to Andrew Crawford, 4th in state, and Kayla Rae, 5th in state. Players Nate Stember, Henry Bennett-Hanes, Davis Ma, Scout Hawkey, Eve Selbie, Catherine Morley, Ava Pool, Jessica Franz-Sands, Fiona Hutchinson and Karina Amsden ranged from 2nd to 7th in their divisions.

The Cardinals earned some medals in doubles as well:
-Eve Selbie / Johanna Donnally (1st place)
-Catherine Morley / Jessica Fantz-Sands (1st place)
-Davis Ma / Nate Stember (2nd place)
-Andrew Crawford / Henry Bennett-Hanes (2nd place)

-Nick Hutchinson / Harper Lea (2nd place)

-Karina Amsden / Griffin Anderton (2nd place)

-Nathaniel Eddleman-Hunley /Zoe Greenwald (2nd place)

All together, the 38 member team took third in state. The Racquetball team isn’t done yet, however.

Some of the Cardinal contenders will be headed to the High School Nationals. LHS is sending twelve boys and eight girls to compete against some of the top competition around the country. Among the 20 person roster are Andrew Crawford, Kayla Rae, Nate Stember, Henry Bennett-Hanes, Davis Ma, Eve Selbie, Catherine Morley, Johanna Donnally, Jessica Fantz Sands and Karina Amsden, all of whom earned awards at the State Rac-
quetball Championships.

Nationals will be held from Feb. 28-March 4 at the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Swim Team:

by Ben Pahl

The Cardinal Swim team had an excellent season, with the boys going undefeated in their meets, and the girls winning all but one. Amongst these victories included a meet where the boys had only six swimmers on the night of winter formal.

The Swim Team competed in districts at Matt Dishman Pool on February 9-10, with both the boys and girls teams placing first in the PIL. It was the fourth year in a row the girls have won the title, and the third year in a row for the boys. In addition, all six Cardinal relay teams qualified.  

Standout Male swimmers:

-Nate McFaul (junior) who won the 200 free and 100 fly

-Kai Hilbourne (junior) who won the 500 free, and also qualified in the 200 free

-Peter Hinnen (sophomore) who qualified in the 100 breastroke

-Alex Young (junior) who qualified in the 100 fly and the 500 free.

Standout female swimmers:

-Katherine Lochner (sophomore) who won the 200 IM.

-Alesandra Pardini (sophomore) who won the 100 breastroke.

-Abby Blackford (junior) who won the 200 freestyle.

The Swim Team will be competing at the state tournament on February 16-17 at Mt Hood CC.  All the winners listed above will be competing at state. There are also many alternate swimmers.  The following are relay swimmers and alternates for state:

-Adrian Clemente, Anne-Marie Greider-Jacobs, Hayden Hedinger, Phoebe Kemp, Tillie Knox-Warshaw, Aidan Mansfield, Alexandra Miller, Parker Price, Kona Ream, Teddy Senecal, Marshall Xu, Zoe Young.

Assistant coach Kara Wendel emphasized the bright future ahead of the team with many returning swimmers.

“We had a lot of strong swimmers this year, many of whom will be coming back.  This is certainly a positive sign for next season and the future in general.”

Basketball Teams:

by Luke Geist

Lincoln’s boys basketball team is off to a start with a record of 14-9, and is ranked 12th in the OSAA, as of Feb. 20. The girls team is at 11-12, with an OSAA ranking of 25. Both teams qualify for the state playoffs by placing in the top 4 in the PIL.

The boys had a 3-game losing streak mid-way through the season but ended it with a win against Benson Polytechnic.

“We haven’t been playing the best basketball we can, but that is an upside with the playoffs just around the corner,” says Bryce Sloan, a senior.

Ski/Snowboarding Team:

by Reese Nelson

The Lincoln ski team competes at the state championships on Feb. 23-24 at Mt. Bachelor (after publication deadline), but the horrible conditions on Mt. Hood took both teams by surprise this winter.

The skiers and snowboarders suffered due to the lack of snow on the mountain this winter. Skis and snowboards were left scratched and cut at the end of long days as students struggled to get through turns and down runs.

Junior Sam Piesner says that the conditions never really improved. “It rained on and off throughout the season, and now it’s bad again.”

The ski team takes a bus up to Mt.Hood every Wednesday, looking to practice their runs before competitions.

Sophomore Ella Williamson agrees with Piesner, saying that the course they usually race on “pretty much never got covered [with snow].”

Temperatures in Oregon are already rising and the mountain did not get snow in over a week in late January. When comparing this season to last season, so far there has been much less snow. In December of 2016 and January 2017 there was a recorded total of 188 inches of snow at Mt. Hood Meadows, but in December and January 2018 they have only recorded 111 inches.