Students get Halloween surprise with four-day weekend

Halloween, Oct. 31, will now be a part of a four-day weekend for students due to schedule changes that moved parent-teacher conferences to earlier in the year. Previously the conferences were held the two days before Thanksgiving, with teachers having Wednesday off and classes canceled for students for the entire week.

Parents will meet with teachers Oct. 29 from 5:10-8:30 p.m. and throughout the day and evening Oct. 30. Students will be on a B day Oct. 29 and will have no classes Oct. 30, 31. Teachers will also have oct. 31 off.

“I don’t think (the schedule change) matters that much for me,” Timothy Kurtz, parent of a sophomore said, “but I do think that if you have it around Thanksgiving there is more to discuss with the teachers so it could be more meaningful.”

Parents may sign up for conferences as they arrive at school on either Oct. 29 or Oct. 30, although curriculum vice principal Cameron Neal suggests they prioritize the teachers they wish to visit.

“I like having Halloween off,” sophomore Kelsey Dunn said. “While I do think it is better to have conferences earlier in the fall so students can correct their assignments and behavior, I find it convenient to have four-day weekends versus a full week off.”