Tennis teams dominate PIL; state next

The boys’ and girls’ tennis teams captured a combined 12 of 16 qualifying spots to state from the PIL in competition held May 15.  The girls topped the league and are sending seven members to state, which takes place the week of May 18 at the Tualatin Hills Tennis Center.  Finishing just two points behind Grant for the PIL title, the boys will send five players to state.

Both teams finished the three-day district tournament with fierce competition Friday.  The boys’ title came down to one match, the doubles final with sophomores Riley Wilson and Elliot Nuss, which Grant won in a tiebreaker after a two-hour back-and-forth affair.  At the conclusion of the tournament, Grant had 70 points to Lincoln’s 68.  However, the Cardinals are sending more players to state.

On the girls side, Lincoln dominated.  They swept the doubles bracket with the sister team of Emily and Taylor Rees taking first place, followed by sophomores Michiko Hunter and Jennifer Song (second), sophomores Carly Allen and Emily Allen (third), and junior Paige Price and sophomore Marissa Friedman (fourth).

In singles, the Cardinals advanced three players, including freshman Reed Hazard, who was ranked top in the district going into the tournament.

A list of qualifiers and their district results is below.

BOYS

Singles

Michael Stephenson, senior, 3rd place at district

Maayez Imam, sophomore, 4th place

Doubles

Riley Wilson, sophomore/Elliot Nuss, sophomore, 2nd place

Alex Johnson, senior/Will Leach, sophomore, 3rd place

Alex Serrurier, senior/Fritz Hergenhan, sophomore, 4th place

GIRLS

Singles

Reed Hazard, freshman, 2nd place

Lilli Wheary, senior, 3rd place

Anthea Leng, freshman, 4th place

Doubles

Emily Rees, sophomore/Taylor Rees, senior, 1st place

Michiko Hunter, sophomore/Jennifer Song, sophomore, 2nd place

Carly Allen, sophomore/Emily Ma, sophomore, 3rd place

Paige Price, junior/Marissa Friedman, sophomore, 4th place