Art work ready for holiday sale

Ceramics students will be making and selling their pieces to raise money for the ceramics class. The pieces will be sold in front of the auditorium at lunch, FLEX, and after school during the three days before winter break .

Students will be selling glass jewelry pieces and various small objects that could be used as paper clip or jewelry holders. “I’m really excited to use what I’ve been taught to give back to the ceramics class,” said sophomore Olivia Weissflog, who is in Ceramics 3-4.

This will be the first sale in the last four or five years, and work by both former and current students will be available for purchase. Each piece will be sold for $1-10, and proceeds will go directly to the ceramics class. “Some pieces don’t sell for much because they’re not well made,” ceramics teacher Cynthia Irby said. “But even the poorest made objects can be very beautiful.” For example she said, visual and performing arts instructor Jim Peerenboom bought tea bowls and planted flowers in them. “So while many of them were poorly made, they look really nice as a whole,” Irby said.

Proceeds will be used to improve the studio, such as a new kiln or new wheels. Currently the ceramics class is funded by parent donations, and supplemental fees come from the principal’s funds.