New classes added to forecasting form

The Hip Hop: Cultural Exploration class will teach the basis of some of the most influential rap artists and albums of all time, from Illmatic by Nas to Kendrick Lamars To Pimp a Butterfly (pictured above).

The Hip Hop: Cultural Exploration class will teach the basis of some of the most influential rap artists and albums of all time, from “Illmatic” by Nas to Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly” (pictured above).

By March, seniors are receiving acceptance letters while  juniors, sophomore, and freshmen are thinking about the classes to take next school year. Forecasting packets on the 20 new courses being  distributed to English classes this month.

One class that has students talking is an elective, “Hip Hop: Cultural Exploration.” The class focuses on the cultural implications of hip hop in mainly white show business The class focuses on rappers with a deep message like Kendrick Lamar, Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls. The semester-long course, open to all grades,  will consider racial equality and make more educated and appreciative music listeners.

Another attention-grabbing class: oceanography. The one-year laboratory course explores the ocean’s ecosystems and how they interact . Students will dive into the physics, ecology and chemistry of the ocean with a focus on climate change. This class is only for juniors and seniors with two years of core science under their belt.

In Sports Media Production students will learn from sports reporters and skilled teachers. The course, for sophomores through seniors, fosters journalistic skills and  also focuses on statistic analysis, video and photography.

Finally, Queer U.S. and Queer World History will be offered to students. These will be two semester classes taught by Fred Fox. The class focuses on the history of the LGBTQ movement in our country and around the world.

These are only a few of the many classes offered for 2017-’18, all designed to broaden perspectives of Lincoln students on the world.