Students entered in district-wide play showcase

Four students had self-authored plays included in a showcase with professional actors at Portland Center Stage, as part of the Visions & Voices program, which has existed since 1999.

Alexandre Crepeaux, Ben Pagano, Hailey Tollner and Emma Weightman sat among writers from Franklin and Sunset high schools during a staged reading of their plays held in the Ellyn Bye Studio at the PCS Armory Theater on June 2. “I was nervous,” said Pagano, a sophomore. “But it was so exciting at the same time.”

“It was so unbelievably surreal,” said Weightman, also a sophomore. “Seeing something I created being acted under lights was an experience I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

From here, six writers from across the district will be chosen to write for Promising Playwrights, a part of the Just Add Water program, also provided by PCS.

The process began at the start of the second semester. In a workshop put on by PCS, and taught by Matthew B. Zrebski and Lincoln graduate Paul Susi, theater students were introduced to playwriting. “I learned that revision is important,” Weightman said. “It’s okay not to be perfect the first few times, and when you finally get what you feel is right, it’s so rewarding.” Some had already been a part of the workshop last year, so they built upon their previous knowledge in the creative process.