New security agent on campus

Kim Mercer and Stan Caples check the computer in their shared office.

Kim Mercer, Lincoln’s newest campus security agent, will be filling in for Joann Rosevear until she recovers from a back injury sustained earlier this year. Mercer is currently being trained by long-time Lincoln security agent, Stan Caples. Meanwhile, Rosevear is working in the district’s records management office and it is unknown when she will return to Lincoln.

Mercer attended Cleveland High School, and her family has lived in Oregon for six generations. She has been a security guard at nightclubs and special events for the past 11 years, but had never considered working security at a school.

Mercer did, however, want to work with and help teenagers. “I remember what it was like to feel unheard, be treated like some kid, or told no all of the time,” Mercer said. Originally, she went to school for medical service and hoped to work for an organization such as Outside In. “My career goal is and was to work with high school age students,” Mercer said. “Medical was the only way that I could think of to get in.”

However, when she encountered Principal Peyton Chapman at the winter semi-formal earlier this year, Mercer made an impression on the administrator. “She was so professional,” Chapman said. Mercer was then contacted by Chapman through e-mail and encouraged to apply to Lincoln as a security agent. “I have learned so much from students and staff since starting at Lincoln,” Mercer said.