Annual holiday food drive aims higher this year, seeking help

Janet Lamson

Last year, the Black Student Union partnered with the Alumni Association to pack almost 500 boxes of food.

Lincoln’s food drive is shooting to help even more local families in need this holiday season.

The annual effort is a collaboration of the LHS Alumni Association and the Black Student Union. Last year, it raised almost $20,000, which amounted to nearly 500 boxes of food. Lincoln students packed and delivered the boxes.

This year, the Alumni Association is looking for student volunteers to pack even more boxes on Dec. 16-17. Contact Janet Lamson at 503-260-2942 or [email protected] to sign up.

In order to purchase the food for those boxes, the Association needs donations, 100 percent of which will go towards food purchases. They can be mailed to LHS Alumni Food Drive, 1600 SW Salmon Street, Portland, OR 97205, or made by clicking here.

“I would encourage everyone in the Lincoln community to get involved with this exciting new initiative,” Portland mayor-elect and Lincoln alum Ted Wheeler said in a statement. “It’s a wonderful way to lend a hand in the fight against hunger and will help ensure a brighter holiday season for hundreds of our fellow citizens.”